Friday, May 26, 2006

Drivers make fine whine
















Coronation Drive, City of Brisbane

I found a mail petition today, it was from the local Labor party MP some plonker by the name of Ronan Lee. Was it about IR laws, or Stopping the mayor, Campbell Newman, from tossing $2.5 billion in tax money into 5 white elephant road tunnels? No. It's about a fucking toll bridge.

After years of whining about not being able to zip down Coronation drive at a steady 100km/h with no stops and no jams from home to work the City of Brisbane finally does something, they're building another bridge accross the Brisbane river, only they want people who actually use the bridge to pay for it. Waaaah cry motorists, make people who don't even drive (me) pay for my bridge. Fuck that.

I'm writing that punk a letter asking him to explain who should pay for the bridge if not the people who use it. Driving isn't a right and I shouldn't have to subsidise making someone else's lifestyle choices more convenient. Fucking carpool for all I care. From the number of people I see jammed on that road one to a car I reckon a toll for single occupant drivers would do more to ease congestion than any number of bridges.

No comments: